23 Oct How Accurate Are Rapid COVID-19 Tests?
A rapid antigen test is the fastest way to know whether you have an active case of COVID-19, returning results within 15 minutes of your test. Since correct results are important to ensure the safety of your family and friends, you may be wondering how accurate rapid COVID-19 tests are.
How Accurate Are Rapid COVID-19 Tests?
Rapid COVID-19 tests have an accuracy of 84 – 97%, but the exact number varies depending on the manufacturer. You can contact the manufacturer or visit their website for the specifications of their test.
What about the RT-PCR test?
Although the RT-PCR test may take longer to process (typically 3 or more business days), they are more accurate and have a far lower chance of returning incorrect results.
Can a rapid COVID-19 test give a false positive or negative?
Yes, a rapid COVID-19 test can return false positives or false negatives. Tests with high specificity and high sensitivity are less likely to return incorrect results, which is why Concierge MD uses highly accurate tests for your peace of mind.
What’s The Difference Between A Rapid And Regular COVID-19 Test?
Although both the rapid and RT-PCR COVID-19 tests are typically administered as a nasal swab, they work to detect an active infection in different ways.
RT-PCR (also known as a ‘diagnostic’, ‘PCR’, or ‘molecular’ test)
- The RT-PCR test analyzes a sample of fluids collected from your sinus cavity for genetic material belonging to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) virus.
- This test must be sent to a lab for processing.
- Your results generally return within 3 business days.
- The RT-PCR test is considered the most accurate COVID-19 test.
Antigen (also called ‘rapid test’)
- The antigen test analyses a sample of fluids collected from either your sinus cavity or your throat for proteins belonging to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) virus.
- This test can be processed immediately after your sample is collected.
- Your results are generally available within 15 minutes.
- The rapid antigen test is very accurate, but slightly less so than the RT-PCR test.
- What Are The Differences Between The Types Of Covid-19 Tests?
- What Is The Difference Between The Antibody And Antigen COVID-19 Tests?
- What You Should Know About The Rapid Covid-19 Test
- What Is The RT-PCR Nasal Swab For Covid-19?
- The Covid-19 Antibody Test, Explained
- Stay Safe With At-Home Antigen Testing For Covid-19
- 5 Benefits Of In-Home Covid Testing You Haven’t Thought About
- The Benefits Of At-Home Vs Community Testing Centers For COVID-19
- How Can You Get A Rapid Covid-19 Test For Your Child?
- Can You Get A Rapid Covid-19 Test At Home With A Covid-19 Test Kit?
Safe, In-Home COVID-19 Testing With Concierge MD
Whether you want the rapid antigen or RT-PCR test without leaving your home, Concierge MD can help. One of our medical professionals comes to your home for your appointment to administer your test. You will get over-the-phone results and a consultation about your results. Our tests have high sensitivity and specificity so you can rest assured that your results are correct. Book an appointment with us today for safe, convenient COVID-19 testing.