21 Oct What Is NAD IV Therapy And Why Should You Use It?
NAD IV therapy has been used in medical treatments since the late 1960s, and for good reason: there are many benefits to NAD therapy. This blog will outline what NAD therapy is, how it works, how IV (intravenous) treatment compares to oral supplements, its possible benefits, and your at-home treatment options.
What is NAD?
NAD stands for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide. It is a coenzyme that binds with elements in your body and can help regenerate cells, reversing age-related effects and enhancing cognitive processing. It can also reduce withdrawal symptoms during addiction recovery, among other benefits.
How does NAD IV therapy work?
Your body depends on vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients in order to maintain optimum function. When your body lacks the NAD coenzyme, it impairs cellular function.
During your NAD IV therapy treatment, NAD molecules will bind with proteins in your body to create active enzymes that your body will use to metabolize fuels and revitalize cells. The NAD coenzymes will combine with other elements to become niacin (vitamin B3), which is the vitamin that’s responsible for revitalizing cells from the inside out.
What are the possible benefits of NAD IV therapy?
There are many ways that NAD treatments can help support your health and wellness.
Enhancing brain function
Brain fog is the term for those frustrating times when you have difficulty in achieving clear, focused thoughts. You might find it difficult to focus on a particular task, or you may notice your productivity declining at work or school.
NAD IV therapy can help you fight off brain fog because it saturates your brain’s cells with the enzymes it needs to perform better. NAD therapy can help improve cognitive function and clear up the haze so you can focus on whatever task needs your attention.
NAD does this by managing production of the PGC-1-alpha protein, protecting brain cells from aging. Excess free radicals, which are generated by body function, can damage cells, an effect known as oxidative stress. Because the brain utilizes 20% of the body’s oxygen supply, it is particularly vulnerable to oxidative stress.
This damage can impair brain plasticity- the ability to adapt to a changing environment. Neuronal stress resistance can also be negatively impacted, affecting cellular messaging. Additionally, NAD combats the inflammation associated with cognitive decline, which has been linked to neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons.
Supports energy levels
Since NAD revitalizes cells throughout your whole body, it can help nearly anyone. One of the most common reasons NAD IV therapy is used is for the energy boost it provides. This increase in energy can improve athletes’ performance. It also improves metabolic processes, which can help you reach or maintain a healthy weight when combined with a healthy diet and exercise.
NAD is vital to the metabolic process, which is why low NAD levels are important to avoid. As such, NAD is being explored as a treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome.
There are a few theories as to why NAD supplementation can help:
- NAD is believed to reduce fatigue by restoring mitochondrial function.
- Low levels of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a form of energy, has been linked to chronic fatigue syndrome. NAD helps convert food into ATP, combating symptoms.
- One symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome is cognitive dysfunction. NAD stimulates brain function, relieving cognitive dysfunction.
Reverses aging and supports whole-body wellness
NAD offers many benefits for the mind, but it can also positively affect your body. The NAD coenzyme is essential for activating antioxidants and reducing inflammation, which helps reduce pain. That’s why NAD therapy may help some individuals manage chronic pain.
NAD works at a cellular level to help your cells repair themselves more efficiently. This helps reverse age-related damage, which, in turn, helps you look younger and more rejuvenated.
Additionally, the increase of serotonin that comes with NAD IV therapy acts as a mood stabilizer and can alleviate depression.
Aids in addiction recovery
Addiction to drugs or alcohol changes your brain chemistry, and this leads to cravings that often result in relapse. NAD IV therapy speeds up healing in your brain, which makes you less likely to experience cravings, the temptation to use, and severe withdrawal symptoms.
NAD helps do this in a few ways, including:
- Improved metabolism and energy production helps combat fatigue related to detox. It also helps curb attempts by patients to boost energy by using caffeine, sugar, or other substances. This means they can avoid any resulting crashes or jitters.
- NAD helps flush drugs and toxins from the body, enabling the body to start the recovery process faster.
- Helps lessen pain and other uncomfortable symptoms caused by withdrawal, which greatly reduces the chance of relapse.
NAD IV therapy can be paired with a comprehensive recovery program and cut out the need for narcotic medications.
NAD supplementation can help relieve detox symptoms for patients withdrawing from alcohol or opiates. NAD therapy for substance abuse disorder recovery typically involves multiple sessions over a period of time. The number of sessions and duration of treatment can vary depending on the substance(s) involved, the severity of addiction, and several other factors.
Other NAD benefits
NAD is necessary to fuel vital biological processes such as:
- DNA repair
- Managing circadian rhythm
- Strengthens cell defense systems
Preserving NAD levels through supplementation as you age is important to help you maintain your overall health.
How does NAD IV therapy compare to other NAD supplements?
NAD IV therapy pros and cons
NAD IV supplementation involves delivering NAD intravenously. This means NAD is added to IV fluids which are stored in sealed bags and suspended above the head of the patient receiving treatment. The bag is connected to a long, thin tube with a needle at the end, which is inserted into a vein. IV fluids and NAD flow through the tube directly into the bloodstream. Other ingredients, like nutrients, can also be added to treatment.
Though people typically associate IV treatment with severe health issues requiring hospitalization, there are many benefits to this supplementation. Bypassing the digestive system ensures a higher absorption rate. Taking supplements orally means they must be broken down before they can be absorbed, which can result in up to 50% of ingredients being lost. Delivery directly into the bloodstream also means ingredients are bioavailable right away, so your body can feel the effects of treatment faster. Hydrating IV fluids help flush toxins and free radicals from your system, allowing your body to function at its best.
NAD IV therapy treatments typically involve multiple 2-4 hour sessions over the course of a few weeks. Once treatment is complete, the benefits of NAD therapy can last several months. The number of sessions and duration of treatment differs on a case-by-case basis, depending on factors such as the health concern you are trying to address, your general overall health, and several other factors. Regardless of the type of NAD therapy you choose, it is important to seek treatment from a licensed and trained healthcare provider experienced in NAD therapy.
- High absorption rate
- Most effective form of NAD therapy
- Administered by a healthcare professional- no guess work
- Hydrates the body
- Other vitamins can be included with treatment
- Benefits can last for months
- Must make appointments to receive treatment
- Not the best choice for those with fear or aversion to needles
- Most expensive NAD therapy option
NAD injection pros and cons
NAD injections give you the benefits of NAD delivered directly to the bloodstream, with the convenience of self-administering treatment. You can consult with a healthcare professional via telehealth services, who can evaluate you to confirm NAD injections are the best option for you. Supplies to self-administer shots are then delivered to you. As you continue treatment, telehealth services are available for you to ask questions and report progress.
- High absorption rate
- Convenience of telehealth services and self-administered shots
- Less costly than NAD IV therapy
- Some people may be uncomfortable self-administering shots
- More expensive than other available therapies
- Poor choice for those with needle aversion or fear of needles
NAD nasal spray pros and cons
NAD nasal sprays offer an alternative to oral NAD supplementation that does not require the use of needles. NAD nasal sprays are administered in the same way as intranasal allergy medications. This supplementation method offers the fastest delivery of NAD to brain cells, which is advantageous for those taking NAD to improve brain health. NAD nasal spray can be delivered to your home after a consultation with a healthcare professional. Telehealth services allow you to get evaluated, ask questions, and report progress throughout your treatment from the comfort and privacy of your home.
- Treatment is self-administered with telehealth support
- High absorption rate
- Delivers NAD to brain cells faster than other therapy options
- More affordable than NAD injections or IV therapy
- Some people may feel uncomfortable using nasal sprays
- Higher cost than oral supplementation
NAD oral supplement pros and cons
NAD therapy is also available in capsule form, providing a supplementation option for those who prefer traditional therapies. Oral NAD therapy is generally the most affordable supplementation option, with maximum savings being obtained through bulk purchasing or auto-renewal subscription services.
- Generally safe with no severe side effects
- Does not involve invasive or painful administration methods
- Most affordable NAD therapy option
- Certain health benefits are still being reviewed in studies
- Best value requires bulk purchasing or subscription services
- NAD must be processed by the digestive system before it becomes bioavailable (takes longer to be absorbed by the body)
- Not ideal for people who have difficulty taking supplements or medication orally
Get NAD IV Therapy with Concierge MD
Experience numerous benefits in a single session:
- Reverse signs of aging for a youthful glow
- Clear brain fog and enhance mental clarity
- Boost metabolic function and energy
- Improve memory, concentration, and athletic performance
- Strengthen immunity, detox, and cleanse your body
- Provide support for addiction recovery
Discover a healthier, brighter you with our cutting-edge therapy. Your rejuvenation is just one click away.