13 May How to Treat Antral Gastritis
Antral gastritis is a common gastrointestinal condition that affects the lining of the stomach’s antrum, the lower portion of the stomach. Over time, it can cause uncomfortable symptoms and may even lead to complications if left untreated.
For this reason, timely and appropriate treatment is vital for managing antral gastritis and advancing overall gastrointestinal health.
What Causes Antral Gastritis?
Gastritis refers to a range of conditions that cause inflammation of the stomach lining. Antral gastritis specifically is an inflammation of the antrum, the lower part of the stomach that connects to the small intestine.
This inflammation can be caused by various factors, including:
- Infections (such as the bacterium Helicobacter pylori)
- An autoimmune disease
- Heavy or excessive alcohol consumption
- Long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
The combination of one or any of these factors could result in antral gastritis.
Antral Gastritis Symptoms
The symptoms of antral gastritis can range from mild to severe and may include the following:
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Bloating and gas
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Weight loss
- Back pain
Keep in mind that some individuals with antral gastritis may not experience any symptoms, while others may have severe and persistent symptoms that require medical attention.
Regardless of the severity of symptoms, it’s important to properly diagnose this condition before it has the potential to affect your long-term health.
Diagnosis of Antral Gastritis
Medical professionals can use a combination of the patient’s medical history, a physical examination, and various tests to diagnose antral gastritis.
These tests may include the following:
- Endoscopy: This test uses a thin, flexible tube with a light and camera to look closely at the stomach lining and gather tissue samples for biopsy.
- Biopsy: A laboratory examination of the tissue samples often gathered during an endoscopy to identify the presence of inflammation, infection, or other issues.
- Blood tests: These tests may be used to check for anemia, infection, and other potential causes of antral gastritis. This can either be done in-home through a concierge medical service or at a medical office.
- Stool tests: These tests can help detect an H. pylori infection1 and identify the presence of blood in the stool.
Treatment of Antral Gastritis
There are several changes and remedies that you can implement to help manage antral gastritis.
Treatment options for antral gastritis may include:
- Lifestyle changes: Adopting a healthy gastritis diet, avoiding triggers like alcohol, caffeine, and spicy foods, and managing stress can help alleviate symptoms and promote healing.
- Medications: Antacids, H2 blockers, and proton pump inhibitors may be prescribed to neutralize stomach acid, reduce acid production, and promote healing.
- Herbal remedies: Ginger, licorice root, and chamomile tea may help soothe the stomach lining and alleviate gastritis symptoms.
- Surgical options: In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the inflamed portion of the stomach or repair damage. This is often a last resort after other solutions have been exhausted. Your doctor will be able to measure your progress and decide. This option is incredibly invasive and can put someone out of commission for an extended period.
Prevention of Antral Gastritis
The best remedy for this condition is to avoid developing it in the first place. Thankfully, some preventative measures can be taken.
Strategies for preventing antral gastritis may include:
- Maintaining a healthy diet that is low in fat, spice, and acidic foods
- Avoiding common triggers like alcohol, caffeine, and NSAIDs
- Manage your stress through relaxation techniques, exercise, and counseling
- Practicing good hygiene to reduce the risk of H. pylori infection
Antral gastritis is a common gastrointestinal condition that can create a lot of discomforts and lead to complications if left untreated. By understanding the causes, symptoms, and treatment options, we hope it will help you take proactive steps to optimize your gastrointestinal health. If you suspect you have antral gastritis, consult your healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and get an appropriate treatment plan.
- Concierge Medicine vs. Traditional Medicine
- Why a House Call Doctor is Right for You
- The Future of Medicine is On-Demand and Personal with Physician House Calls
- What Type Of Prescriptions Are Available From A House Call Doctor?
- Can Home Doctors Prescribe Allergy Meds?
- Does Insurance Cover House Call Visits?
- Six Reasons Concierge Urgent Care is Perfect for Families
- What Are The Benefits Of A House Call Doctor For The Elderly?
- Can You Save Money With House Call Doctors?
Get your at Home Lab Test in with Concierge MD
If you need a lab test but want to avoid traveling to the doctor’s office, consider Concierge MD as an option. We are a licensed mobile healthcare provider with a wide range of services, including lab testing. You can make an appointment online or over the phone for one of our healthcare specialists to visit you in your home and collect samples for one of our many accessible lab tests:
- Wellness Panel
- Male Hormone
- Female Hormone
- STD Panel
- Thyroid Panel
- Anemia Panel
- Food Sensitivity
- Genetic Cancer Screening
- Gut Microbiome
- Inflammation Panel
- Heavy Metal Panel
- Sleep and Stress Panel
- Urinary Health Panel
- Vaginal Health Panel
- and more…
Our staff will assure the safe delivery of samples to our lab. When your results are ready, we can assist you in interpreting them and help you move forward toward a better self. Concierge MD is a private and professional healthcare service that focuses on you. Contact us immediately to order your lab testing!Learn More