25 Nov Should You Get A House Call Doctor For A Sore Throat?
Throat pain can be caused by many different ailments, making it hard to tell whether or not you need to call the house doctor to treat your sore throat. Knowing when this should be done could help you avoid wasting your time, money, and energy on what turns out to be nothing more than allergies or a lingering cold. Thankfully, by following these guidelines, you can ensure that your sore throat gets appropriately treated the first time around.
What is a sore throat?
A sore throat is an inflammation of your vocal cords. The most common cause of a sore throat is Streptococcus infection. This is why it’s sometimes referred to as strep throat.
However, if you don’t have any other symptoms besides your swollen vocal cords, there are many different causes. A less serious culprit could be postnasal drip, caused by mucus dripping down from your nose into your throat while you sleep.
What are some common causes of sore throats?
Sore throats are often caused by viruses and can be treated with rest, fluids, and over-the-counter medications. If your symptoms don’t improve in a day or two or if you have difficulty swallowing, consult your doctor. Some of the most common causes of sore throats include:
- Rhinoviruses (the most common cause)
- Epstein-Barr virus (more commonly known as ‘mono’ or ‘the kissing disease’)
- Influenza virus
- Concierge Medicine vs. Traditional Medicine
- Can You Get A Rapid Covid-19 Test At Home With A Covid-19 Test Kit?
- The Future of Medicine is On-Demand and Personal with Physician House Calls
- Why a House Call Doctor is Right for You
- Better Together: Functional Medicine and Concierge Medicine
- The Future of Concierge Medicine: Preventative Medicine, Telemedicine and Remote Monitoring
- Why a Concierge Functional Medicine Doctor Means Well-Rounded, Personal Care
- Concierge Medicine, Throwback or Breakthrough?
Who To Call For Your Sore Throat
If you have a sore throat that makes it difficult to eat or drink, it’s time to call a professional. Though many conditions —including strep and tonsillitis — can cause similar symptoms, these can lead to complications if not treated immediately by a doctor.
When you’re not feeling well, give Concierge MD a call. We specialize in providing house call doctors for a wide variety of ailments right in your own home. Give us a call or book an appointment using the button below!