25 Nov Can A Concierge Doctor Treat The Stomach Flu?
Although no one ever plans to get the stomach flu, there’s never a good time to get sick. Visiting a doctor can be almost impossible when your stomach hurts. Fortunately, you can now have your appointment at home with a concierge doctor for the stomach flu.
Symptoms and causes of the stomach flu
Viral gastroenteritis (the stomach flu) is an intestinal infection. It is spread by contact with an infected person or ingesting contaminated food or water.
Symptoms of the stomach flu include:
- Diarrhea that is not bloody
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Occasional muscle aches
- Low-grade fever
Depending on the cause of the virus, you may begin experiencing symptoms within one to three days after you have been infected. Symptoms range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually only last for a day or two, but they may persist for up to 10 days.
When to see a doctor
The stomach flu typically resolves on its own within a few days, depending on what type of bacteria is ailing you. Be sure to call your doctor if you are not able to keep liquids down for a whole day, you’ve been vomiting for more than two days, you’re vomiting blood, you’re dehydrated, there is blood in your stool, or if you have a fever above 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
Diagnosis and treatment
Your doctor can diagnose gastroenteritis based on symptoms, a physical exam, and sometimes based on the presence of similar cases in your community. They may also want you to do a stool sample.
There is usually no specific treatment for the stomach flu other than dietary changes, medications to improve your symptoms, and time. Effective nutritional changes include drinking lots of fluids to combat dehydration, not eating solid food, and adhering to the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast) when you do eat solid foods. You should also make sure you get plenty of rest, as the virus can cause you to feel weak and tired.
- What Are The Benefits Of A House Call Doctor For The Elderly?
- Why a House Call Doctor is Right for You
- The Future of Medicine is On-Demand and Personal with Physician House Calls
- What Medical Concierge Services Are Available For The Elderly?
- Can You Get A House Call Doctor For Preop Clearance?
- Why a Concierge Functional Medicine Doctor Means Well-Rounded, Personal Care
- Can You Get A Doctor For A Sinus Infection At Home?
- Concierge Medicine vs. Traditional Medicine
- Six Reasons Concierge Urgent Care is Perfect for Families
Get In-Home Care For The Stomach Flu
If you have symptoms of a stomach bug and want to feel better fast, a concierge doctor can diagnose your stomach flu and advise how to treat it, all without the need to visit a clinic. Your appointments will take place in the comfort of your home so you can focus on resting and recovering.
Contact Concierge MD today to schedule an appointment with a concierge doctor for the stomach flu.