23 Nov How To Treat Gastritis At Home And When To Seek Professional Help
If you are experiencing gastritis symptoms, you may be looking for convenient ways to relieve your discomfort. Keep reading to learn more about how to treat gastritis at home.
What is gastritis and what causes it?
Gastritis is the inflammation of the stomach’s protective lining. Acute gastritis is a short-term condition, whereas chronic gastritis can linger for an extended period of time. A more serious form of gastritis known as erosive gastritis can lead to stomach ulcers and bleeding in the lining of the stomach.
Symptoms of gastritis include:
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling full in your upper abdomen after eating
Erosive gastritis symptoms include black or tarry stool, and vomiting blood or what looks like coffee grounds.
Gastritis can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Bacterial infection
- Regular use of NSAID pain relievers
- Overconsumption of alcohol, caffeine, cocaine use, or tobacco use
- Aging and stress
- Certain medical conditions
How can I treat gastritis at home?
Many people who experience gastritis symptoms may be able to manage effects by making changes on their own.
- If you regularly consume NSAIDs, you should stop taking them to see if gastritis symptoms improve.
- Medications that decrease stomach acid levels, like antacids, H2 antagonists like Pepsid, and proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec may also help relieve symptoms.
- You may also want to consider eliminating some things from your diet to see if gastritis symptoms improve, like foods that are fatty, spicy, fried, or acidic.
- Avoiding alcohol consumption can also benefit those experiencing gastritis symptoms.
- Eating smaller, more frequent meals can also reduce stomach acid levels.
- Probiotic supplements may also treat and prevent symptoms caused by the bacteria H. pylori.
When to seek professional help for gastritis symptoms
It can seem confusing to know when you should seek medical help with your gastritis symptoms. Some signs that you should consult a professional include:
- Lingering symptoms despite making recommended lifestyle changes
- Chronic pain in the upper belly/abdomen
- Vomiting blood, or material that looks like coffee grounds
Your doctor will ask many questions about your symptoms, family history of gastritis, and lifestyle. Your doctor may also recommend testing or procedures to check for any damage caused to your digestive system. Antibiotics may be prescribed if you test positive for H. pylori.
Get Treated For Gastritis At Home With Concierge MD LA
If you have lingering gastritis symptoms, Concierge MD LA can help. You can make an appointment for one of our healthcare experts to come to your home and conduct a medical exam and consultation to fully understand the impact of your symptoms.
Our medical professional can perform a blood draw or prepare a stool sample for lab processing to determine the cause of your gastritis, so you can treat the root cause of the problem. Our team can prescribe the necessary medications and treatments necessary to help you get back to feeling your best self.
Concierge MD LA is proud to offer convenient, professional healthcare in the comfort and privacy of your home. Call or click today!