What is Home Drug Detox?
Drug detoxification, more commonly called ‘drug detox’, is the process of removing addictive substances and toxins from the body. This process not only removes drugs from the body, but it also weans the body off its dependence on addictive substances. Regardless of drug type, detox is the first step towards a successful rehabilitation program.
There are many home detox remedies, recipes, drinks, and kits that promise fast results. The truth is that recovering from substance abuse is an in-depth and challenging process that is not an overnight fix. A full detox can take several days or weeks depending on the type of substance, how long an individual has taken the drug, and the individual’s response to treatment.
That’s where in-home detox comes in. Concierge MD brings the essential services of a traditional rehab clinic to the comfort and privacy of the patient’s home. We save our patients the time of multiple trips to an in-town clinic or an outpatient rehab center.
Our medical director works with every patient to develop a customized home detox plan that works in tandem with the individual’s medical history and lifestyle. We monitor our patients’ progress and can make immediate adjustments to their detox plan as needed. Our nurse is onsite 24/7 to monitor our patients throughout the detoxification process and ensure that they receive the best care available for a successful recovery.
Why do You Need Medically Managed Drug Detox?
It’s important to seek treatment for drug addiction. A person’s tolerance to the effects of a drug increases over time, meaning that they need more and more of the drug to achieve the desired effect. This, in turn, can lead to an overdose. According to the CDC, more than 70,000 Americans died of a drug overdose in 2017 alone.
At-home drug detox can help prevent an overdose as well as the collateral financial, relationship, and career damage that too often come with addiction.
Drug detox may sound straightforward, but addiction is a chronic brain disorder that is best treated by a medical professional. The chance of relapse (the return to using an addictive substance) is high, with 80% of patients in one study resuming drug use within a month of treatment.
Cravings and withdrawals are two of the many factors that contribute to relapse. Cravings – the desire to use a drug – can be intense and unpleasant, especially early in the detox process. Withdrawal symptoms vary by individual. Withdrawals can be mild in some people while they can potentially be dangerous for others without professional medical management.
No two people experience the drug detoxification process the same way. That’s why Concierge MD personalizes every patient’s home detox plan to minimize the chance of relapse and maximize the patient’s safety and comfort. We bring safe, professional addiction rehab services to the patient’s home, saving patients the time and hassle of staying at an inpatient clinic or needing to uproot their schedule to visit an outpatient center.
In-Home Detox: How it Works
Medically managed in-home detox helps ensure that the detoxification process is as safe and comfortable as possible for the patient and the patient’s family. Concierge MD provides personalized attention for our patients throughout the detox and drug rehabilitation process.
Here’s what patients can expect:
- During the initial evaluation, our home detox doctor will assess the patient’s medical history, drug use history, existing prescription medication, and other health factors.
- Patients will then undergo a full examination and lab tests to build a complete picture of their current health.
After the results of the exam and lab tests are in, we consult with patients to create a custom home detox plan designed to complement their current health, lifestyle, medications, and recovery goals.
- We begin the in-home detox process. Our in-home detox nurse stays with the patient, monitors the process, intervenes as necessary, and adjusts the home detox plan as needed. The nurse will also monitor sleep and nutritional intake, as these are often disrupted by withdrawal symptoms and/or cravings.
- We perform further monitoring and lab tests. The vitals we monitor include blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and respiration rate. These figures help us build a clear picture of the patient’s overall health and response to the drug detoxification process. As a result, we are able to quickly and accurately adjust the detox plan to reflect the patient’s actual health status.
- After the detox process is complete, Concierge MD provides a comprehensive suite of at-home support services to fully address drug use triggers, coping mechanisms, and psychiatric care for lasting results.
Can In-Home Detox Replace a Full Rehab Program?
Drug detox is only the first step of a full rehab program, but it is a crucial step on the journey to recovery. Concierge MD combines the personalized attention of a concierge doctor with the professional care, ongoing monitoring, and support of an inpatient rehab program.
In-home detox has several benefits that inpatient and outpatient clinics do not:
- The privacy of home detox is ideal for anyone who wants confidentiality and discretion during their recovery.
- Since our nurses will be stationed at the patient’s home, they will be better equipped to understand the patient’s drug use triggers, environment, and support circles. All taken together, this information helps us build an adaptive recovery plan that helps our patients get – and stay – clean.
- Group therapy is a mainstay of many inpatient rehab clinics and can be beneficial for some people. However, others may find this kind of environment stressful. Concierge MD offers one-on-one coaching for private, personalized attention.
Inpatient rehab clinics are an ideal environment for many people. During our initial evaluation, we will help potential patients decide if in-home detox is the right fit for their lifestyle and recovery goals.